Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

RC-10 Classic Build Thread

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

ELECTRONICS

I debated back and forth on electronics pretty much since I hit the button to pre-order my car. Brushed or brushless? How fast does this thing need to go? Lipo's or Nimh's? I look very seriously at the Hobbywing 35a/3000kv brushless combo at $75 on Ebay. Good price for a reasonable brushless setup. Then I started reading about the vintage racing and looked at 17.5 motors and esc's. That's an easy $200. Should I go vintage/brushed with an old Novak ESC and 19T motor or maybe a 27T like I had as a kid?

In the end a brushed setup is the way I have decided to go. I've had an old Trinity P2K 27T motor in my box for sometime now and never really run it. I threw it in my old Lunchbox as was amazed at how much faster the 'Box' was over the Tamiya Sport Tuned motor that was in it. Looking on Ebay, I found a new in package P2K Pro with dyno sheet for $35 shipped. I snatched it up.



ESC's was a little harder to decide on. I've always had Novak products, including several 410M5's and 610-HRV's. Finding them on Ebay in excellent shape and for a good price is getting harder and harder. New, brushed ESC's are becoming difficult to find as well (unless you want a cheap Tamiya or a rockcrawling ESC). Enter the Tekin G11. At $62 it's a bargin. No motor limit, lots of adjustments and a great price. The only downfall is that it doesn't have a lipo cutoff. For $10, I can pickup one of those. 




Rounding out my electronics will be pretty easy. I'll buy an additional receiver for my trusty Airtronics MX-Sport. For a servo I plan on using a ProTek 100S. I have several hardcase lipo's which should work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment