Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

RC-10 Classic Build Thread

Thursday, June 20, 2013

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION

Now we get to the meat of the car.  This is where the time, research and money come in.  When I first learned of the release, I figured I would build the car and run it.  Box stock.  The more I've been reading, the more I've learned about "vintage racing".  It turns out that vintage off-road racing is starting to take off.  Quite a few people are racing original RC-10's and keeping up with modern cars.  There's a guy at my local track that does this.  The problem with vintage racing is that it takes a fair amount of money to get a RC-10 competitive and reliable enough to withstand a racing environment.  Modifying a  RC-10 also isn't as simple as walking into the hobby shop and asking for parts.  I have done countless Google searches and have quite a few threads "bookmarked" as well.

I'm a racer.  I can tell myself that I don't want to race this car, but it would be a lie.  While I don't plan on racing this car weekly (like my Tamiya TRF201), I do plan to bring it to the track and hopefully spark some interest in starting a vintage class.

On RC10Talk.com, a poster asked the question, "Who's going to be the first jerk to dye their white parts black?"  Apparently, white suspension parts is a big deal to the classic community.  I could care less myself.  In fact, I find black to be much nicer if only because it doesn't get stained from the dirt like the white used to.



Here's a picture of a box stock front end.  There is a lot that will need to be addressed here if I want to improve the handling of the car.  Original RC-10's had short a-arms and are much narrower than today's modern cars.  To widen the front of the car, I'm going to add a set of Associated wide front a-arms (#6206).  Since the arms are black, I'll dye the rest of the white parts pictured above black to match.

Quite a few people run a longer front shock on their "modern" RC-10's.  Associated claims that they've improved the stock shock on the re-release and I'm going to work with them for now.  The shock tower pictured is the stock, fiberglass unit.  To save a little weight and to continue with the "black scheme" I'm going to add a carbon fibre tower from RC Carbon Works.com (#CW-016)

The original RC-10 came with threaded rods for the tie-rods and steering linkages.  Thankfully, thirty years later we have adjustable turnbuckles.  Associated now sells a complete turnbuckle set with ball cups (#6259).  This will be a very welcome addition and will making camber and toe adjustments much easier.

The last item(s) that I'll replace on the front end will be the steering setup.  When I was a kid, everyone replaced their stock steering setup with a ball bearing unit from A&L.  After a Google search, I found that not only is A&L still around, but they still have the steering kits available (#1080).

Front end parts list

No comments:

Post a Comment